Requirements for Single Family & Modular Houses

Required Documentation

You will need to complete a Building and Zoning Permit Application and provide the following documentation as applicable:

Property owner

Provide name, address, and phone number of the property owner.


All contractors, including each one’s address and current Virginia License Number.

Mechanic’s Lien Agent

Provide a name, address, and phone number. A Mechanic’s Lien Agent is required by state law for new or altered one- or two-family dwellings. The mechanic's lien agent is generally a lawyer, title insurance agent, or financial institution authorized by an owner to receive notice from any person entitled by law to seek payment for labor performed or materials furnished. The applicant may also choose to not designate one.

Connecting to County Water and/or Sewer

You must pay connections fees to CCUSA (Campbell County Utilities and Services Authority) (434 239 8654) beforehand and provide the receipt with your permit application.

Installing a Well and/or Septic System

The Campbell County Health Department (434-332-9550) will conduct a “Perk” test that verifies your property is suitable for a septic system. It will then issue you a septic and/or well permit. It is not necessary to have a perk test or to obtain a well permit if you are going to connect to public utilities. You may also retain a private engineer or soils scientist to perform the perk test and request approval from the Health Department.

E&S (Erosion & Sedimentation control)

If more than 10,000 square feet of land are to be disturbed, you are required to retain the services of a Responsible Land Disturber (RLD) and provide us with that person’s Name, Phone, Certification number, and Certification expiration date. Some subdivisions require an RLD even if less than 10,000 square feet are to be disturbed. Subdivisions requiring an RLD.

Asbestos Information

For structures built prior to 1985. An asbestos report by a qualified company is required for commercial and residential structures if demolition or remodeling is for commercial uses. For non-commercial projects, you will need to fill out and submit our Asbestos Form (PDF).


You will need to know the setbacks on the property to determine the distance from all property lines the dwelling or structure will be located. The permit application requires a sketch of the property, including all structures and the distance from each property line for the new project. Clearly marked setback measurements may be required on site at the time of the footing inspection.


For commercial or residential construction you will need two (2) sets of plans that must include the following information:
Wall section that includes footing details
  • All 4 elevations
  • Location of smoke detectors
  • All rooms labeled (kitchen, bedrooms, etc)
  • Size of decks, stoops, and porches
  • Indication of finished and unfinished areas
  • Plans must be legible
A third set of plans is required for some commercial projects, including buildings over 5,000 square feet, over 100 occupants, or for nightclubs.

For projects that do not require a full set of plans (such as additions, remodeling, garage, or shed), structural component details can be sketched using one of the structural diagrams (PDF).


  • New construction $0.18/sf for finished space and $0.12/sf for unfinished space
The County accepts cash, checks, and credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, and Discover). See the complete fee schedule (PDF) for more detailed fee information.

We will not be able to give you a final amount until the permit application has been fully reviewed.

Changing Use of a Building

Converting a residential house into a business requires an engineering floor load report and floor plans for the existing and planned interior.

Commercial Projects

Projects over 5,000 square feet will usually require a Project Evaluation Committee (PEC) meeting. A PEC Application is required prior to any work starting.