The Zoning office investigates certain complaints while other issues may be handled by other departments.

Confidentiality: If you make a complaint, your name and contact information will remain confidential, even from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. Virginia Code §2.2-3705.3 excludes releasing the names and contact information furnished in confidence with respect to an investigation of individual zoning enforcement complaints or complaints relating to the Uniform Statewide Building Code or the Statewide Fire Prevention Code made to a local governing body.

Common issues that Campbell County does not regulate unless hazardous, a public safety issue, or a nuisance:

  • Unsightly conditions
  • High grass 

Common Complaint Issues and the Responsible Departments



  • Inoperable or “junk” cars
  • Hazardous conditions
  • Noise or odor
  • General public safety or nuisances


  • More than 5 junk cars that cannot be economically restored
  • Manufactured home used as storage
  • Multiple manufactured homes on a lot
  • Illegal or unpermitted uses of a structure or on a property   

Building Inspections

  • If you rent and have a complaint about conditions of your residence
  • A building or structure is being built, or has been built, without a permit

Campbell County has no maintenance regulations for buildings in poor condition or utilities that do not work; in other words, we cannot force homeowners to fix their houses. However, renters have rights to a safe and functioning living environment, and if a renter complains about these issues, we will investigate.

Erosion & Sediment Control

  • An area 10,000 square feet or more that has been disturbed without a permit (excluding logging or agricultural)
  • Any time sediment from cleared land is not being contained (excluding logging or agricultural)

Health Department

Well and septic issues