Criminal Investigations Division
The division includes investigations of:
- Crimes Against the Person: This function is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of crimes committed against people such as robbery, rape, and murder.
- Property Crimes: This function is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of crimes committed against property such as burglary, destruction of property, arson, and larceny.
- White Collar Crime: This function is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of "white collar" crimes such as fraud, embezzlement, and bad checks.
- Internal Affairs: This function is responsible for conducting Internal Affairs Investigations through direction of the Sheriff.
- Applicant Investigation: This function performs background investigations and other testing for applicants for employment with the Campbell County Sheriff's Office.
Identification/Evidence RecoveryThis function is responsible for the collection and preservation of all evidence collected from crime scenes.
Narcotics UnitThis unit is responsible for investigation and prosecution of all narcotic-related offenses. It conducts covert and overt operations in performing these functions.
Special InvestigationsThis is the organized Crime Component and is assigned the detection, investigation, and prosecution of groups of persons involved in organized illegal activities. This function also performs the intelligence function. This function gathers and disseminates information regarding criminal activity.
Captain Tracy Emerson
Tracy Emerson began his career at Campbell County Sheriff’s Office September 1, 1997 as a jail officer. Tracy served in the field as a deputy for 3 years, before accepting a position at Altavista High School as their School Resource Officer. He worked in our schools for 2 ½ years until accepting a promotion as a Narcotics Investigator. After approximately 3 years, he was promoted to Sergeant, serving in the Traffic Unit and remained in service there until 2008, when he was again promoted to Investigator in the Criminal Investigations Unit.