- Social Services
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Tenant Information
Waiting List Open on Wednesday, October 26 from 9AM - 5PM. Please click here to see an informational flyer for details.
PLEASE NOTE: Renting from relatives is not allowed without an approved reasonable accommodation.
Basic Qualifications for Tenant Participation
- Family must meet residency requirements. Campbell County has a “local preference,” which means it gives preference to those families that live in, work, or have been hired to work in Campbell County first.
- Family must pass a criminal and sex offender background check.
- Family must meet income guidelines.
How to Apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program
69 Kabler Lane
Rustburg, VA 24588
P.O. Box 860
Rustburg, VA 24588
Step 1: Application Process
- Interested families apply to the Waiting List when it is open.
- The Waiting List must be open in order for persons to apply. Notices of openings are posted in the local newspaper, at Campbell County Department of Social Services, and on the VH website.
- Applications are taken online only.
- Applications are taken only during the designated times.
- Apply at https://vhda.apply4housing.com using a desktop computer (not accessible on a smartphone or tablet).
Step 2: Prescreening and Orientation Process
- Once your name reaches the top of the Waiting List
- Applicants are prescreened for program eligibility. During this process applicant families are screened for income eligibility, residency, and criminal history.
- Eligible applicants are required to attend an orientation where the program rules and regulations are explained.
- Vouchers are issued, if available.
Step 3: Seeking Housing
- Family is given sixty (60) days to find suitable housing.
- Unit must be within family’s Payment Standard and the rent must be reasonable.
- Perspective landlords must agree to participate in the program.
- Landlord and family must complete a Request for Tenancy Addendum (RFTA) form and submit the completed form to the family’s assigned Housing Specialist.
Step 4: Inspection Process
- The unit must meet Housing Quality Standards .An initial inspection must be conducted within 15 days of the receipt of the completed Request for Tenancy Approval form.
- If the unit does not meet Housing Quality Standards, the landlord must agree to bring the unit into program compliance. Should the landlord fail to bring the unit into program compliance, the family cannot use its subsidy there.
Step 5: Rent Calculations and Contracts
- Based on the family’s income, composition, allowances, deductions, etc., the Housing Specialist calculates the portion of the contract rent that is paid by the program verses the portion the family pays. The family pays their portion directly to the landlord. VHDA pays its portion directly to the landlord.
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) are made through direct deposit into the landlord’s financial institution only.
- The family is responsible for paying the landlord a security deposit.
- The landlord and the family sign a lease agreement.
- The landlord and the Campbell County Department of Social Services (on behalf of VHDA) sign a Housing Assistance Payment Contract.