PLEASE NOTE: Renting from relatives is not allowed without an approved reasonable accommodation.
Basic Qualifications for Tenant Participation
How to Apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program
Step 1: Application Process
Step 2: Prescreening and Orientation Process
- Once your name reaches the top of the Waiting List
- Applicants are prescreened for program eligibility. During this process applicant families are screened for income eligibility, residency, and criminal history.
- Eligible applicants are required to attend an orientation where the program rules and regulations are explained.
- Vouchers are issued, if available.
Step 3: Seeking Housing
Step 4: Inspection Process
- The unit must meet Housing Quality Standards .An initial inspection must be conducted within 15 days of the receipt of the completed Request for Tenancy Approval form.
- If the unit does not meet Housing Quality Standards, the landlord must agree to bring the unit into program compliance. Should the landlord fail to bring the unit into program compliance, the family cannot use its subsidy there.
Step 5: Rent Calculations and Contracts